Author Topic: Pastor Tony Morris - Fails to repay loans from church members  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Inactive_1

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +10/-2
Pastor Tony Morris - Fails to repay loans from church members
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:27:05 AM »
November 20, 2008

SEATTLE - Pastor Tony Morris is known as a man of God.

“He was a dynamic speaker, seemed to preach the word of God, he seemed to have a real solid message,” said Emery Tungsvick. It was a message that brought thousands to his South Seattle New Convenant Christian Center. “It's amazing how many people have been touched by him,” said Javon Guiberteaux.

But if Pastor Morris' asks you for a loan, some people say that's when you'll surely need god's help. Our investigation reveals that Pastor Morris owes hundreds of thousands of dollars to people all over the country.

The bottom line: He took loans on some, promised big returns, and never repaid them. Pastor Morris is living in a million-dollar, 7,700-square-foot mansion in Renton. He and his wife drive luxury sedans and SUVs. But when it comes to answering questions about how he paid for those things, Pastor Morris won't talk. “Who do you trust if you can't trust a man of God?” said Willie Turner.

Turner was a member of New Covenant Christian Center. In 2005, Pastor Morris asked a favor of the restaurant owner. He needed a short term loan of 10,000. “He kept promising to pay me in 30 days. In 30 days he didn't pay me so he kept shining me on and shining me on,” said Turner. Turner has not been repaid, and neither has Joanne Ryser. In 2005 she loaned the pastor $50,000. It was supposed to be a short term loan. “We only gave him $20,000 to begin with and then the next weeks he asked for the other $30,000 and we trusted him,” said Ryser. But when it came to repayment, the pastor put the Rysers off for a year. He put up property as collateral. But there was a problem.

“I called a title company..and did some title research and realized when we did the promissary note with him..his name or the churches name wasn't even on the property anymore,” said Ryser. The Rysers took Pastor Morris to court and won a $79,000 judgment. So far they've only gotten $4,000 back.

Court documents also reveal that just two weeks ago, another former church member named Kirk Russell won a $200,000 judgment against the pastor. He loaned Morris $112,000 and received just $1,000 in return. Pastor Morris didn't answer the door at his mansion. He has moved his church to Renton High School, where we tried to interview him. The pastor won't tell us or anyone else if they have a prayer of getting any of their money back. “I’d like for him to be stopped. I'd like for him to go to jail,” said Brian Heflin.

Article
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:14:13 PM by Admin 1 »

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Pastor fails to repay loans from church members
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:37:46 PM »
And why are we surprised?   This is why they are in the preaching business.  You don't think they really believe this stuff do you? ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Inactive_1

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +10/-2
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:45:27 PM »
What's the saying - There's a sucker born every minute?

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 02:42:13 PM »
I think we should have a contest to write a more euphemistic headline for this article, just to see if we can.  Fails to repay loans?  Who wrote that, his defense attorney?!  Isn't the charge intentional and systematic fraud?  How about "Pastor Target of Vicious Rumors" or "Pastor Loses Bank Account Information" or "Bank Error not in Pastor's favor"?

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 02:47:58 PM »
"Accounting SNAFU affects many"
"Investigation into missing money focuses on cash growing legs"

Offline Pale Rider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Agnostic
    • Bible Police
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 07:05:49 PM »
Typical doctrine "send your money to the Lord but they give you their address". Just goes to show that you do not know whats happening to your 10% when you give it to the church. Not saying it happens all the time and not saying all churches have this problem but corruption has a way of breeding greed.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 10:28:59 PM »
It wasn't exactly a brilliant scheme. How did he hope to get away with it? Maybe he's mentally ill or something?

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 10:37:42 PM »
It's sort of like fucking a retard.  You're basically banking on the victims being too fucking dumb to cut their own meatloaf.  What's that?  Multi-million dollar mansion?  Well, I guess that reflects the odds scenario for playing that game with Christians.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 06:14:19 PM »
It's sort of like f**king a retard.  You're basically banking on the victims being too f**king dumb to cut their own meatloaf.  What's that?  Multi-million dollar mansion?  Well, I guess that reflects the odds scenario for playing that game with Christians.

Religious fraud sure is profitable ... $$$$
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 09:11:57 PM »
Why did he ask for short-term loans and promise to repay them in as little as 30 days?

He should have just asked for outright donations, telling them the money was needed to do God's work, and that it would earn them blessings and be returned to them multi-fold by God in the future. This wouldn't raise many eyebrows, I see evangelists say it on TV all the time. 

A few months ago I watched Benny Hinn tell his audience to put gifts to his ministry ahead of their house and car payments. He said if they were generous to God (via Benny Hinn, of course), He would eventually take care of all their needs. No doubt some of those morons are having their homes foreclosed on now.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 09:35:08 PM »
Why did he ask for short-term loans and promise to repay them in as little as 30 days?

People who borrow money without intent to pay back always do this!!!

It increases the chance of getting the loan because they know you might not be able to afford it for a longer period of time.

He should have just asked for outright donations, telling them the money was needed to do God's work, and that it would earn them blessings and be returned to them multi-fold by God in the future. This wouldn't raise many eyebrows, I see evangelists say it on TV all the time. 

Perhaps the suckers he had access too were not vulnerable to this method of persuation?

A few months ago I watched Benny Hinn tell his audience to put gifts to his ministry ahead of their house and car payments. He said if they were generous to God (via Benny Hinn, of course), He would eventually take care of all their needs. No doubt some of those morons are having their homes foreclosed on now.

Not everybody is as talented as Benny Hinn. Not every criminal, is able to swipe the Hope diamond. Some just pick pockets or mug people.

I'm sure, if he had the talent to go on T.V., he'd have done it.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.