Poll

Do you know someone who has been mentally unwell and believed they were the chosen one

I have had contact with someone who is mentally unwell and believed they were the chosen one ie a god complex.
5 (31.3%)
I have never had contact with someone who is mentally unwell and believed they were the chosen one
11 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: How to help our society and get rid of christianity  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Dean Raja

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
How to help our society and get rid of christianity
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:14:44 PM »
Prove that there are alot of people who are mentally unstable who believe they are the chosen one like jesus.
Then prove that treatment is far more affective without the influences of the bible.
Then prove that christianity is making people unstable.
Then help people believe that the bible is not true.

After that society will be more accepting and have better treatments for the mentally unwell.

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • DON'T PRESS THAT BUTTON!
    • Freeclassicflix
Re: How to help our society and get rid of christianity
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:57:55 PM »
I don't know about all that.. I think we, as atheist should pray to turn all Christians into gold overnight. If it works we're rich and we're rid of them! If not then nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Imagine gaining favor with "Darwin's"...kind of like praying, huh?

http://freeclassicflix.co.cc

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:24:19 AM »
Prove that there are alot of people who are mentally unstable who believe they are the chosen one like jesus.

This is irrelevant. Most religious people are not mentally unstable. Most are just normal people with average morals who compartmentalize their beliefs.

People who are in mental hospitals because they claim to be "the chosen one" are not there because religion exists... they have underlying issues. If religion didn't exist they would latch on to something else ... like claiming they're napoleon.

Then prove that treatment is far more affective without the influences of the bible.

No medical treatment that I know of includes use of the bible in any way.

"Unstable" is taking it a bit too far. Most of the religious population are not 'unstable'. They simply indulge a bit too much in platitudes, wishful thinking and odd rationalizations in their attempts to reconcile their world view with reality.

Sure, there are 'unstable' extreme religious fundies ... but they are the minority. They're probably already unstable ... although religion may aggravate their condition.

This is poorly worded. You mean help people understand their religious beliefs are unjustified due to the overwhelming lack of evidence to support the their claims... thus leading them to justified disbelief.

After that society will be more accepting and have better treatments for the mentally unwell.

How society treats the mentally unwell is a public health issue that has nothing to do with religion.

I agree that, by eliminating religions and their dogmas, we will be helping people who currently wrestle with their cognitive dissonance trying to reconcile their beliefs (and instilled fears) with reality.

Religion has a negative impact on people. But I am not going to go as far as to say that everyone with a religious belief is mentally unwell or unstable. That's just not true.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 06:56:19 AM »
You make some points there.. hey, if people want to believe that their socks with holes in them are the salvation to all mankind I'm fine with that, but don't start killing people who don't have holes in their socks. I think it's only fair. :o)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 01:02:29 PM »

I think exposing people to the fact that other culture also have deities, and that more primitive culture assign things to dieties we modern 1rst world people know scientific causes for.  Sooner or later more and more people will connect the dots, and religion will ebb as not being "assumed"

Also removing tax incentive and cultural protection offered to religions would be a good move as well.

I don't think many will "connect the dots" when being shown the sporadic and isolated cases of "chosen one" loonies.

Showing them that MILLIONS have the loony belief is another thing altogether.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »
Problem is they're connecting to dots that aren't even on the page and getting paid to do it.

Offline Aceluffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 03:59:17 PM »
Back in my native country Indonesia, I had a short encounter with a Christian priest claiming that he can hear God's word every night.

Everytime he preaches, he always try to convey "God's messages" to his followers in his own words. His appearance is very sharp, mid 30s, handsome, had a beautifull wife and 2 healthy kids.
The weird thing I notice about him is that in the middle of his sermon, he will do this strange habit of shaking his whole body and face in front of all of us and immediately saying that he just got a holy spirit entering his body and notifying all of us that the next words coming from his mouth will be directly from God.
Imagine my surprise when as soon as he started speaking, a lot of people started screaming and crying like crazy ! The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I felt this really strange feeling that I was among some crazy people worshipping some strange cult.

I had a chance to speak with him afterwards, one on one. I got the impression that he is actually quite a decent rational person. But I did notice something strange about him, he always smile as if he is a puppet like in that movie "Stepford Wives", it really creeps me out.
This church is called "Mawar Sharon" meaning Sharon Rose in English. Until today, I still receive invitations from them to keep attending their service and even becoming one of their activists.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:28:14 PM by Aceluffy »
If we were made in His image, then why aren't humans invisible too?

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-8
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 04:20:04 PM »
Imagine my surprise when as soon as he started speaking, a lot of people started screaming and crying like crazy ! The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I felt this really strange feeling that I was among some crazy people worshipping some strange cult.

You were.

They all are.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 04:31:29 PM »
re: the poll in the OP --

The Three Christs of Ypsilanti.  Fun story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Christs_of_Ypsilanti
Survey results coming soon!

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 04:38:43 PM »
I'm completely lost on this post; what is the op talking about, what is the poll for?
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 11:14:09 PM »
The poll is by a crazy person, about crazy people thinking that they're Jesus.  Of course.
Survey results coming soon!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 12:34:34 PM »

Bullshit.  People would just make excuses for it; just like they do with other shit that's in the Bible that is similar.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?